Driving under the influence, or DUI, occurs when you get behind the wheel of an automobile after consuming alcoholic beverages or drugs that cause intoxication above the state legal limits set at 0.2%. It’s beneficial that you consult with a law firm such as Goodman DUI if you’ve been charged with this crime. Conviction of a DUI charge can result in time behind bars, fines, and a plethora of additional life-changing consequences.
A few important DUI facts you might be interested to know:
· No one under the age of 21 may consume alcohol. The penalties are tougher for a person under 21 who is found guilty of DUI.
· The average driver drives under the influence an average of 80 times before they are arrested and charged with DUI for the first time.
· One person dies in a DUI related crash in the U.S. every 51 minutes. This equals a total of 27 people each day.
· Many myths suggest that there are fast ways to sober up after a night of consumption but they’re only misconceptions. You cannot drink coffee, take a cold shower, or be slapped into sobriety.
· Someone is injured in a drunk driving accident every two minutes in the U.S. Many of these injuries cause the victim a lifetime of pain.
· It takes an average of six hours for a person with a BAC of 0.82 to sober up.
· Approximately 18% of all DUI accidents involve drugs other than alcohol.
Driving a car after consuming alcohol is very dangerous. That’s why laws are in place against the action. Stay safe, heed the facts above, and do not put yourself in the line of danger or risk causing injury to someone else. Don’t drive if you’ve been drinking.